Sunday, July 20, 2008

The New Guy

My soldier made it to Ft. Jackson. Not only did he make it there, he was so excited when he arrived to find out that he knew several of the guys that checked in when he did today.
He was so blessed last summer to be in a group of guys that instantly bonded and made friendships (most of them finished all three Phases of CH-BOLC last summer and are currently serving Active Duty.) He wasn't sure what to expect jumping in this summer at Phase 2. He knew that he would be entering into a group that had already been together for six weeks, and wasn't looking forward to being the "new guy."
Scott called me from his layover in Atlanta to tell me that he had already met a guy in the airport that was on his way to CH-BOLC, too. He was also a member of the Guard and had also been there last summer. By the time this afternoon got here and he checked in his room, he was completely surprised at how many of the "new guys" he already knew.
I wish I could go to Ft. Jackson..... I can't wait to talk to him tomorrow.

1 comment:

The Nagel Family said...

Heather - I am the wife of the guy your husband met in the GA airport! :) Sorry I didn't get to meet you last week when we were both visiting our husbands. Scott & Dave have been hitting it off in SC. I have my good and bad days of being without the love of my life. I started to challenge myself today realizing there are many other women doing the same thing and I need to think less of myself and more about others. I know what it feels like to have our men away, but please be encouraged today! I too am counting down the days till Dave returns home. Let's count together...... Blessings, Christina Nagel