Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Army Man

It has just been a couple of months since we left Ft. Jackson and returned to our hometown. The closest military installation is about and hour and a half away... a pretty close to deserted Naval base. The next closest is Ft. Campbell Ky... about 2 and a half hours away. Needless to say, aside from the handful of guys that are full time with our local Guard unit, it is a rare occasion to see a man in uniform walking around our town.
During the last two months when Scott was placed on ADSW, he had the opportunity to go to work every day in his ACU's. I will never forget the first day that he showed up at the door of my preschool classroom. I was busy working (basically crowd control) when I heard a loud "GASP" followed by "Ms. Heather, the Army is at our door!"
Scott came in and was instantly bombarded with kids... kids with comments... kids with questions...
-"I have one of you at home, only you come with a jeep."
-"How did you get out of the TV?"
-"How are you really married to Ms. Heather when you live in outer space?"
And my personal favorite, coming from the little boy that wears CARS t-shirts to school every day...
- "He must really like Army men!"
I was amazed that so many of these boys and girls didn't know that "Army Men" were real. On an Army post, people of all ages know the reality of men and women in uniform.
Then I began to think about many of the adults in our nation. The Military holds a very similar role to many of them... something another world away... something on TV.... somebody else's job. I sit back and think about the families of our troops that have loved ones overseas. My heart goes out the the spouses of our Guard and Reserve members. I especially think of some of my new friends I've made with deployed husbands... living in a community off of an Army post, where most of the people around don't have the same appreciation for the patriotic sacrifice that so many are giving.
One company in Scott's National Guard battalion left last month for Kosovo. Another received the news this week that they will be heading to Afghanistan. My thoughts and prayers are with these families. I ask you guys to pray with me today for all of the families of men and women in uniform- Active Duty, National Guard, or Reserve. War is war. Away from home is away from home, no matter the branch in which you serve.
Oh, and my preschoolers, I forgot to mention one little boy. He sheepishly came up to me and whispered in my ear, "He looks like my big brother! He is an Army man, too! I miss him!"

2 comments:

Amy Bell said...

Thanks. I'm missing my Army Man.

Laura said...

Wow! Powerful post that makes me want to cry.